VirtualBox can't open a session

Hey,

I’m working on a Windows laptop and I downloaded the VirtualBox and the VirtualBox image by the links given in the exercise guide / the README. But when I start the CommonRoad machine in the VirtualBox, I get an error which says that the VirtualBox can’t open a session, because it can’t open the medium CommonRoad.vdi. The error message also mentions “VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND” and the error code is “E_FAIL (0x80004005)”:

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem? My mass store consists of “Controller: IDE” with the two subpoints “CommonRoad.vdi” (with a yellow warning sign) and the second one is the sign of a blue disk and it says “empty”. Maybe that helps somhow.
I already tried to set up a new machine, but that didn’t work either, I got a “FATAL: no bootable medium found” as result, but at least the VirtualBox started a session. But I still couldn’t log in or do anything. I also tried deinstalling the VirtualBox and the VirtualBox image and do the whole installation all over again, but that didn’t change anything.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Sebastian,

Try unzipping the file with the virtual machine to some folder that doesn’t have special characters in its name and then try again. Please make sure that the filename for the disk attached to the virtual machine is correct and leads to the disk image extracted from the zip archive.

Please let us know if it helped solve the problem.

Hi Vitalii,
thanks for the quick respond! I did as you said and I realized that I didn’t have enough storage space for the huge .vdi file anymore. Unfortunately my laptop didn’t notify me about that while unzipping the file. Anyways, I deleted all machines I’ve set up so far and then it finally worked :slight_smile:

1 Like