Error with Installation of Drivability Checker because of little ressources for Virtual Machine

Hi all,

I installed the Drivability Checker the way it was supposed in the git repo on my VMware-based Ubuntu 18.04. It seems that everything was set up correctly, but the commonroad_dc.pycrcc-module was not found. Then, I tried to install it the manual way, I got the following error:

(commonroad-py37) bernie@vm-ubun:~/commonroad-drivability-checker/build$ sudo cmake -DADD_PYTHON_BINDINGS=TRUE -DPATH_TO_PYTHON_ENVIRONMENT="/bernie/home/anaconda3/envs/commonroad-py37" -DPYTHON_VERSION=β€œ3.7” -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release …
CMake Error at third_party/pybind11/tools/FindPythonLibsNew.cmake:96 (message):
Python config failure:

Call Stack (most recent call first):
third_party/pybind11/tools/pybind11Tools.cmake:16 (find_package)
third_party/pybind11/CMakeLists.txt:33 (include)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also β€œ/home/bernie/commonroad-drivability-checker/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.

Are you able to suggest anything where there problem lies? Do I have to delete the whole commonroad-drivability-checker-repo, before I want to install it manually, after I did it the automated way?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Bernhard

P.S.: Althought I ran git submodule init and $ git submodule update before, I typed the following to be sure:
(commonroad-py37) bernie@vm-ubun:~/commonroad-drivability-checker/build$ pip install pybind11
Collecting pybind11
Using cached pybind11-2.6.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (188 kB)
Installing collected packages: pybind11
Successfully installed pybind11-2.6.1

Additionally, this syntax errors occuring, when I enter (commonroad-py37) bernie@vm-ubun:~/commonroad-drivability-checker$ sudo python setup.py install

I could solve the problem by giving my virtual machine more ressources (6 cores and 4GB RAM), and repeated the way in the git repo.

1 Like

the syntax error seems to be related to type hints in python. as it was introduced in python3.5, i suspect you had a version below that while installing.

In addition, there is no need to pip install pybind11.
There is also no need in sudo python setup.py install, python setup.py install should work just fine.
You must have had a low python version. We support python 3.6 or higher.

Hello everybody,

unfortunately i am facing the same problem. BUT the Python-version doesnt seem to be the answer because it is 3.8.8 in the running env. I already tried to go back to version 3.6 but that did not work either.
Do you guys have a different idea or could provide a different approach?
Regards

(mod_planning) felix@felix-MacBookAir:~/commonroad-drivability-checker/build$ cmake -DADD_PYTHON_BINDINGS=TRUE -DPATH_TO_PYTHON_ENVIRONMENT=β€œhome/felix/anaconda3/envs/mod_planning” -DPYTHON_VERSION=β€œ3.8” -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release …
– Found PythonInterp: home/felix/anaconda3/envs/mod_planning/bin/python3.8m
Python config failure:

See also β€œ/home/felix/commonroad-drivability-checker/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
(mod_planning) felix@felix-MacBookAir:~/commonroad-drivability-checker/build$ python --version
Python 3.8.8

Maybe you can try to the installation script.

$ bash build.sh -e /path/to/your/anaconda3/envs/commonroad-py36 -v 3.6 --cgal --serializer -i -j JOB_COUNT

Note that you have to replace

• /path/to/your/anaconda3/envs/commonroad-py36 with the path to your Anaconda environment (or virtualenv);
  • 3.6 with the Python version of your Anaconda environment.
  • JOB_COUNT with the number of jobs you are willing to allocate to cmake, for example -j 2 . Each job (possibly) will use a core, so specify this number according to your system and free cores.

For additional options, please run bash build.sh -h command to view them.

Hi Edmond,
thanks for your quick response. I tried that, but after building the s11n the bash fails as well when building the drivability-checker.

Building drivability checker…

– The C compiler identification is GNU 9.3.0
– The CXX compiler identification is GNU 9.3.0
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc – works
– Detecting C compiler ABI info
– Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting C compile features
– Detecting C compile features - done
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ – works
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting CXX compile features
– Detecting CXX compile features - done
– Found PythonInterp: /home/felix/anaconda3/envs/mod_planning/bin/python3.8m
Python config failure:

See also β€œ/home/felix/commonroad-drivability-checker/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
Installing as python package…

so it ends up being pretty much the same. Do you have any other ideas?
Regards
Felix

okay to keep you updated: i found solution that is pretty easy to deal with.
When compiling it manually simply replace the cmake command with:
cmake -DADD_PYTHON_BINDINGS=TRUE -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=$(which python) -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release …

then the python config works!
regards
Felix

1 Like