About commonRoad scenario

Dear commonRoad team,

in my group, we would like to use commonRoad (scenarios and grader) to benchmark motion planners in autoware.
The problem now is that autoware only understands lanelet2.

I believe there are two possible solutions:

1. commonRoad scenario --> Source map (OSM or openDrive) --> lanelet 2
    And use the obstacle description in commonRoad sceanrio to generate some obstacles in autoware simulator . Then the solution will be uploaded to commonRoad grader.

2. lanelet 2 --> lanlets --> commonRoad scenario (Adding obstacles same as them in autoware simulator) --> make this hand-crafted sceanrio as a part of commonroad-scenarios and the solution can be automatedly graded.

Do you have some suggestions for it?

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Kailin

Hi Kailin,

What we did when we integrated our planner in the Baidu Apollo platform was the second method you mentioned. We did not use our grading system to grade the planner since the goal was to guarantee safety. If you want to use our grading system for the scenarios generated using the second method, you have to make sure that we are allowed to upload the scenarios generated from Autoware simulator. Otherwise you will have to implement the cost functions yourself.

Best,
Xiao

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply,

I have additional questions.

1. In your integration of Baidu Apollo platform, what is the benefits/function of using commonRoad? Are there a picture to show the data flow?
  2. If I take the first solution I suggested before, can I access to the source map of commonRoad scenarios?

BR
Kailin

Hi Kailin,

1. The benefit is that if we have an interface between Apollo and CommonRoad, we do not have to reimplement our software in Apollo, since all our software have an interface to CommonRoad.
    I can send you picture of the ROS message conversion from Apollo to CommonRoad per Email.
  2. Since the information of source OSM data was not complete, the maps would be a bit different from our maps if you use the OSM to generate a lanelet2 data. It would make more sense to convert to lanelet2 directly since it’s more similar to our map format. We do not have plans to develop such a converter in the near future.

Best,
Xiao

1 Like